The purpose of this project is to use black and white shapes, the designer's intention is to have the middle be in front and the center of attention.
The project from 2011 uses shapes to draw the viewer's attention to the center of the page. The four sets of three rectangles, which make a pyramid like shape, surround the piece to draw the viewer's attention even more to the center. The different magnitudes of the rectangles almost create an arrow pointing towards the middles.
People usually follow the direction of the straight and curved lines due to a human's curiosity to see where things end. The background X line has the least gravity to draw the attention to the center for unity. Behind the other objects it fades away as it gets closer to the center of attention, so it doesn't take away from the designer's scheme.
The lines also represent construction lines in the program InDesign to portray project's building process.
The lack of color helps the lines and shapes standout. But the shade and gradient of white and black become gray bringing unity between the colors.

I like the depth of this design. There are so many layers and like you said in your description, I'm curious to see where each object ends and connect with another. The X is a bit off-putting; I don't think it was necessary for unity, as the objects connect on their own. I love the 3d effect, it seems to just pop out at me! Was this on purpose? Great job.
ReplyDelete