Monday, May 16, 2011

An International Interview

The last project for the Visual Journalism class at Columbia College is to interview an international Columbia professor, Marcelo Caplan, and create a magazine layout through a prepared InDesign template.

The design is to include at least one picture of Caplan, a main story, a sidebar story, a map where Caplan is from and a good headline, deck and captions.

 

First I went to Caplan's office in the South Loop to interview him. After an hour interview, I came away with a ton of information and photos for the design.

Then I sketched out a design and decided to have a regular grid type. For the main story I decided to use pastel background because it complimented the photos well. I chose a white background for the sidebar because the Israelian flag is half white.

Next I created a map of Argentina in InDesign and copy it to the magazine InDesign project.
Finally I changed the pictures to tif files, 300 dpi and CMYK inks in Photoshop so the photos are visible in print. Then I placed the pictures in the layout.

Last I wrote the stories, headline, deck and captions, and Visual Journalism Spring 2011 was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment